Date(s) - Jun 23 2017
7:00 pm - 8:45 pm
Adelaide Sri Lankan Buddhist Vihara
This group meets on the 4th Friday of the month practicing meditation, discussing Dhamma (in English) and meeting likeminded people. The classes are generally led by Santacari Bhikkhuni, a Theravadan Buddhist nun with over 25 years meditation experience.
Meets 4th Friday of the month
Starts at 7.00 pm. Finishes at 8.45 pm.
Adelaide Sri Lankan Buddhist Vihara
8 James Street,
Parking & Public Transport
There is plenty of parking in the carpark.
Public transport is available from Grenfell, Currie and Pultney Streets in the city to Crafers Park’n’Ride. The journey takes about 30 minutes. Once you get off the bus, cross the freeway exit, towards Mount Lofty Road, and follow the stairs up to Mount Street. Walk about 50 metersr up Mount Street and enter via the tall metal gates.
It is FREE (Donations are welcome but are not requested.)
What to expect
It is informal and relaxed. We are a friendly bunch of people and will help you if you are new to the group to know what to do and to feel comfortable. You will be asked to take off your shoes before entering the vihara and will have the option of sitting on cushions or chairs. If you have a medical condition which requires you to keep your shoes on, just let us know.
No, you don’t have to sit cross-legged on the floor. However, if you do want, to we can help you build the comfiest cushion-castle for your flexibility-level.
We will start with a short chat and 30 minute guided meditation. Then have a quick break for cups of tea, followed by a dhamma discussion and Q&A.
What to bring
There is no need to bring anything. We sit on chairs and cushions that are provided.
Please wear comfortable loose fitting clothing which is not revealing and refrain from wearing fragrances.
Level of experience
The group is a mixed of beginners and more experienced meditators. We get brand new meditators most weeks, so you can join us any time. If you have never meditated before you will be taught what to do. Experienced meditators are also welcome.
The same people do not necessarily join us each month – they come on whichever months they can make it. You do not have to attend a series of weekly sessions nor do you need to attend regularly – come when you are able. If you are new to meditation or would like to improve, we’d recommend you also attend one of our City or Christies Beach sessions for about 4 or 5 weeks.
What kind of people attend?
The group is run by the Buddhist Society and held at the Sri Lankan temple. However, many people who come aren’t Buddhists and come from other religious backgrounds or have no interest in religion – they just want to learn to meditate. People from any background, any age (as long as they can keep quiet) and any gender are welcome.
Why people come along
We have people attend for all sorts of reasons. For example, we have those who find it easier to meditate in a group than to meditate at home, others who are on a spiritual path and interested in Buddhism, and others who are stressed, unhappy or have had a trauma and who want to find more peace of mind.
What kinds of meditation are taught?
You will practice different kinds of Buddhist meditation. Loving kindness (metta), breath meditation, body scans and open awareness are all covered regularly. There is generally no physical movement involved.
The programme is approximately as follows:
- 7.00- 7.15: Chanting. Feel fre to join in or just listen. We can provide chanting sheets.
- 7.15 – 7.45: Guided meditation – we are told what to do during the meditation.
- 7.45- 7.50: Tea break and chat.
- 7.50- 8.30: Dhamma Discussion– learn about the Buddha’s teachings and how to apply them in everday life.
- 8.30–8.45: Questions and Answers.
Do I need to book?
No, just turn up.
- Sutta Discussion Group - Nov 21 2017 - 8:15 pm - 9:30 pm
- Dhamma Discussion - Nov 25 2017 - 4:15 pm - 5:00 pm
- Sutta Discussion Group - Nov 28 2017 - 8:15 pm - 9:30 pm
- Dhamma Discussion - Dec 02 2017 - 4:15 pm - 5:00 pm
- Sutta Discussion Group - Dec 05 2017 - 8:15 pm - 9:30 pm
- Dhamma Discussion - Dec 09 2017 - 4:15 pm - 5:00 pm
- Sutta Discussion Group - Dec 12 2017 - 8:15 pm - 9:30 pm
- Dhamma Discussion - Dec 16 2017 - 4:15 pm - 5:00 pm
- Sutta Discussion Group - Dec 19 2017 - 8:15 pm - 9:30 pm
- Dhamma Discussion - Dec 23 2017 - 4:15 pm - 5:00 pm
- Sutta Discussion Group - Dec 26 2017 - 8:15 pm - 9:30 pm
- Dhamma Discussion - Dec 30 2017 - 4:15 pm - 5:00 pm