Date(s) - Jul 04 2017
1:00 pm - 2:00 pm
This weekly group gives people the opportunity to relax in their lunch-break, learn meditation and meet likeminded people. The classes are generally led by Santacari Bhikkhuni, a Theravadan Buddhist nun with over 25 years meditation experience.
Meets every Tuesday Lunchtime
Starts at 1.00 pm. Finishes at 1.50 pm.
We are aware your lunchbreak is limited and make a point of running on time.
Adelaide University AMHS Building
North Terrace (City West, Opposite Fenn Place)
Rooms will vary. See below for details.
|Tuesday, 25 Jul 2017||1068|
|Tuesday, 01 Aug 2017||1068|
|Tuesday, 08 Aug 2017||5052a/5052b|
|Tuesday, 15 Aug 2017||4050a|
|Tuesday, 22 Aug 2017||1068|
|Tuesday, 29 Aug 2017||4050a|
|Tuesday, 05 Sep 2017||8052a/8052b|
|Tuesday, 12 Sep 2017||4050a|
|Tuesday, 19 Sep 2017||CANCELLED|
|Tuesday, 26 Sep 2017||4050a|
|Tuesday, 03 Oct 2017||4050a|
Parking and Public Transport
The Adelaide Convention Center is the nearest multistory carpark, the free tram stops outside the AMHS and many buses running along North Terrace. $6 all day parking is available at the Adelaide Entertainment centre and the free tram can be taken from there to AMHS.
It is FREE (Donations are welcome but are not requested.)
What to expect
It is informal and relaxed. You will sit in comfortable chairs and be guided through gentle and relaxing meditation. We are a friendly bunch of people and will help you if you are new to the group to know what to do and to feel comfortable.
No, you don’t have to sit cross-legged on the floor. Most people in this group sit in the chairs provided.
What to bring
There is no need to bring anything. We sit on chairs that are provided.
Please wear clothing which is not too revealing and refrain from wearing strong fragrances.
Level of experience
The group is for people who have never meditated before and regulars too. We get brand new meditators most weeks, so you can join us any time. If you have never meditated before you will be taught what to do. Experienced meditators are also welcome.
The same people do not necessarily join us each week – they come on whichever session they can make it. You do not have to attend a series of weekly sessions nor do you need to attend regularly – come when you are able. If you are new to meditation it is advantageous to come for 4 or 5 weeks in a row to give yourself a chance of getting the hang of it all and to experience the different ways of meditating. Meditation is just like any form of exercise, it takes a while to get used to the ‘moves’ and become ‘fit’. We would of course be delighted if you came regularly!
What kind of people attend?
The group is run by Buddhist nuns and lay-people in a non-religous format. Should you have question about Buddhism you are free to ask. Many people who come aren’t Buddhists and come from other religious backgrounds or have no interest in religion – they just want to learn to meditate. People from any background, any age (as long as they can keep quiet) and any gender are welcome.
Why people come along
We have people attend for all sorts of reasons. For example, we have those who find it easier to meditate in a group than to meditate at home, others who are on a spiritual path and interested in Buddhism, and others who are stressed, unhappy or have had a trauma and who want to find more peace of mind.
What kinds of meditation are taught?
You will practice different kinds of Buddhist meditation. Loving kindness (metta), breath meditation, body scans and open awareness are all covered regularly. There is generally no physical movement involved.
Do I need to book?
No, just turn up.
- Learn to meditate and guided meditation - Apr 25 2018 - 7:00 pm - 8:15 pm
- Beginners Meditation - Apr 28 2018 - 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm
- Learn to meditate and guided meditation - May 02 2018 - 7:00 pm - 8:15 pm
- Beginners Meditation - May 05 2018 - 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm
- Learn to meditate and guided meditation - May 09 2018 - 7:00 pm - 8:15 pm
- Beginners Meditation - May 12 2018 - 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm
- Learn to meditate and guided meditation - May 16 2018 - 7:00 pm - 8:15 pm
- Beginners Meditation - May 19 2018 - 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm
- Learn to meditate and guided meditation - May 23 2018 - 7:00 pm - 8:15 pm
- Beginners Meditation - May 26 2018 - 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm
- Learn to meditate and guided meditation - May 30 2018 - 7:00 pm - 8:15 pm
- Learn to meditate and guided meditation - Jun 06 2018 - 7:00 pm - 8:15 pm
- Learn to meditate and guided meditation - Jun 13 2018 - 7:00 pm - 8:15 pm
- Learn to meditate and guided meditation - Jun 20 2018 - 7:00 pm - 8:15 pm