Date(s) - Feb 06 2018
1:00 pm - 2:00 pm
UniSA Law School Boardroom
This group gives people the opportunity to learn about meditation, to meditate and to meet like-minded people. The classes are led by Santacari Bhikkhuni, a Theravadan Buddhist nun with over 25 years meditation experience.
Meets every Tuesday afternoon at 1pm
Starts at 1.00 pm. Finishes at 2.00pm
Please arrive a few minutes early if you have never been before.
The programme is approximately as follows:
- 1.00- 1.15: Introductory talk on meditation: what, how, and why
- 1.15 – 1.45: Guided meditation
- 1.45- 2.00: Practice Discussion
We will be using the UniSA Law School Boardroom.
The space will comfortably seat 15+ people.
It is off George St, which runs between North Tce and Hindley st.
There will be signage pointing the way once you find the building.
There is plenty of parking nearby, although costly.
Public transport is plentiful with train, tram and bus services close by.
It is free (or by donation if you wish.)
What to expect
It is informal and relaxed. We are a friendly bunch of people and will help you if you are new to the group to know what to do and to feel comfortable.
What to bring
There is no need to bring anything. We will sit on chairs and cushions that are provided.
Please wear comfortable loose fitting clothing which is not too revealing and refrain from wearing fragrances.
Level of experience
The group is for people who have never meditated before and some of our regulars drop in too. We get brand new meditators most weeks, so you can join us any time. If you have never meditated before you will be taught what to do. Experienced meditators are also welcome.
The same people do not necessarily join us each week – they come on whichever weeks they can make it. You do not have to attend a series of weekly sessions nor do you need to attend regularly – come when you are able. If you are new to meditation it is advantageous to come for 4 or 5 weeks in a row to give yourself a chance of getting the hang of it all and to experience the different ways of meditating. Meditation is just like any form of exercise, it takes a while to get used to the ‘moves’ and become ‘fit’. We would of course be delighted if you came regularly!
What kind of people attend?
The group is run by the Buddhist Society. However, many people who come aren’t Buddhists and come from other religious backgrounds or have no interest in religion – they just want to learn to meditate. People from any background, any age (as long as they can keep quiet) and any gender are welcome.
Why people come along
We have people attend for all sorts of reasons. For example, we have those who find it easier to meditate in a group than to meditate at home, others who are on a spiritual path and interested in Buddhism, and others who are stressed, unhappy or have had a trauma and who want to find more peace of mind.
What kinds of meditation are taught?
You will practice different kinds of Buddhist meditation. Loving kindness (metta), breath meditation, body scans and open awareness are all covered regularly. There is generally no physical movement involved.
The programme is approximately as follows:
- 1.00- 1.20: Introductory talk on meditation, e.g. what meditation is,how to meditate, and the benefits of meditation
- 1.20 – 1.50: Guided meditation – we are told what to do during the meditation.
- 3.50- 4.00: Questions and answers
Do I need to book?
Not at this time. Next year bookings may be required, depending on demand.
- Learn to meditate and guided meditation - Apr 25 2018 - 7:00 pm - 8:15 pm
- Beginners Meditation - Apr 28 2018 - 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm
- Learn to meditate and guided meditation - May 02 2018 - 7:00 pm - 8:15 pm
- Beginners Meditation - May 05 2018 - 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm
- Learn to meditate and guided meditation - May 09 2018 - 7:00 pm - 8:15 pm
- Beginners Meditation - May 12 2018 - 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm
- Learn to meditate and guided meditation - May 16 2018 - 7:00 pm - 8:15 pm
- Beginners Meditation - May 19 2018 - 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm
- Learn to meditate and guided meditation - May 23 2018 - 7:00 pm - 8:15 pm
- Beginners Meditation - May 26 2018 - 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm
- Learn to meditate and guided meditation - May 30 2018 - 7:00 pm - 8:15 pm
- Learn to meditate and guided meditation - Jun 06 2018 - 7:00 pm - 8:15 pm
- Learn to meditate and guided meditation - Jun 13 2018 - 7:00 pm - 8:15 pm
- Learn to meditate and guided meditation - Jun 20 2018 - 7:00 pm - 8:15 pm