Date(s) - Jun 19 2019
7:00 pm - 8:15 pm
This weekly group gives people the opportunity to learn meditation and meet likeminded people. The classes are generally led by Santacari Bhikkhuni, a Theravadan Buddhist nun with over 25 years meditation experience.
We are a friendly bunch of people and will help you if you are new to the group to know what to do and to feel comfortable.
Meets every Wednesday evening
Starts at 7.00 pm. Finishes at 8.00/8.15 pm.
Please arrive a few minutes early if you have never been before.
Dakkhina Dhammatthala (Southern Oasis of Dhamma) is a nun’s residence and small meditation space. We comfortably seat 10-15 people.
79 Davis Avenue,
Christies Beach, SA
Please enter via side gate
There is plenty of parking on the street. Please be mindful of our neighbours driveways.
It is FREE (Donations are welcome but are not requested.)
What to expect
It is informal and relaxed. You have the option of sitting on cushions or chairs. No, you don’t have to sit cross-legged on the floor. However, if you would like to sit on the floor, we can help you build the comfiest cushion-castle for your flexibility-level.
Please take off your shoes before entering the room. If you have a medical condition which requires you to keep your shoes on, just let us know.
What to bring
There is no need to bring anything. We sit on chairs and cushions that are provided.
Please wear comfortable loose fitting clothing which is not too revealing and refrain from wearing fragrances.
Level of experience
The group is for people who have never meditated before and some of our regulars drop in too. We get brand new meditators most weeks, so you can join us any time. If you have never meditated before you will be taught what to do. Experienced meditators are also welcome.
The same people do not necessarily join us each week – they come on whichever Wednesdays they can make it. You do not have to attend a series of weekly sessions nor do you need to attend regularly – come when you are able. If you are new to meditation it is advantageous to come for 4 or 5 weeks in a row to give yourself a chance of getting the hang of it all and to experience the different ways of meditating. Meditation is just like any form of exercise, it takes a while to get used to the ‘moves’ and become ‘fit’. We would of course be delighted if you came regularly!
What kind of people attend?
The group is run by the Buddhist Society. However, many people who come aren’t Buddhists and come from other religious backgrounds or have no interest in religion – they just want to learn to meditate. People from any background, any age (as long as they can keep quiet) and any gender are welcome.
Why people come along
We have people attend for all sorts of reasons. For example, we have those who find it easier to meditate in a group than to meditate at home, others who are on a spiritual path and interested in Buddhism, and others who are stressed, unhappy or have had a trauma and who want to find more peace of mind.
What kinds of meditation are taught?
You will practice different kinds of Buddhist meditation. Loving kindness (metta), breath meditation, body scans and open awareness are all covered regularly. There is generally no physical movement involved.
The programme is approximately as follows:
- 7.00- 7.20: Introductory talk on meditation, e.g. what meditation is,how to meditate, and the benefits of meditation
- 7.20 – 7.50: Guided meditation – we are told what to do during the meditation.
- 7.50- 8.00: Questions and answers
- 8.00- 8.15: Cups of tea and friendly chat (optional)
Do I need to book?
No, just turn up.
- Mindfulness, Meditation and Dhamma Fortnightly Friday - Jun 05 2020 - 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Meditation and Dhamma Weekly Saturday - Jun 06 2020 - 4:00 pm - 5:30 pm
- Meditation and Dhamma Weekly Wednesday - Jun 10 2020 - 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
- Meditation Sitting Weekly Thursday - Jun 11 2020 - 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
- Meditation and Dhamma Weekly Saturday - Jun 13 2020 - 4:00 pm - 5:30 pm
- Meditation and Dhamma Weekly Wednesday - Jun 17 2020 - 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
- Meditation Sitting Weekly Thursday - Jun 18 2020 - 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
- Mindfulness, Meditation and Dhamma Fortnightly Friday - Jun 19 2020 - 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Meditation and Dhamma Weekly Saturday - Jun 20 2020 - 4:00 pm - 5:30 pm
- Meditation and Dhamma Weekly Wednesday - Jun 24 2020 - 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
- Meditation Sitting Weekly Thursday - Jun 25 2020 - 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
- Meditation and Dhamma Weekly Saturday - Jun 27 2020 - 4:00 pm - 5:30 pm
- Meditation and Dhamma Weekly Wednesday - Jul 01 2020 - 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
- Mindfulness, Meditation and Dhamma Fortnightly Friday - Jul 03 2020 - 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Meditation and Dhamma Weekly Saturday - Jul 04 2020 - 4:00 pm - 5:30 pm