Date(s) - Nov 02 2018 - Nov 11 2018
5:00 pm - 11:00 am
A 10 day silent residential retreat held by the Buddhist Society of South Australia. 8 precepts will be observed by participants.
Donate to help support this retreat
Please consider supporting this retreat by donating some of the items on our dāna list. This allows us to offer a low-cost accessible retreat and allows you the great happiness of practicing generosity.
Patrick Kearney is an independent dharma teacher in the lineage of Mahāsī Sayādaw. He has trained extensively in the Mahasi approach to insight meditation, his principal teachers being Paṇḍitārāma Sayādaw and John Hale.
Patrick has a particular interest in the original teachings of the Buddha — Buddhism as it was before Theravāda or Mahāyāna were ever thought of. He studies Pāli, the language of the earliest surviving Indian recension of the Buddha’s teachings, and seeks to bring his understanding of the early texts to the practice of dharma in the contemporary world.
Discover more about Patrick from his website: http://dharmasalon.net/
How much experience do I need to attend?
Some meditation experience is preferred.
What is included?
Food and accomodation for the week is included.
What kind of accomodation is available?
Each retreatant will have a simple, privately partitioned, single room, containing a single bed.
Camping in tents or caravans is also an option, use the coupon code CAMP.
You should bring your own bedding including blankets/sleeping bag, sheets and pillow.
Bathroom facilities will be gender segregated, with 2 toilets and 2 showers for each gender.
What kind of food will be available?
As we will be upholding the 8 precepts on the retreat there will be no evening meal. All food on the retreat will be vegetarian. Some may contain eggs, dairy, honey, nuts and gluten. Rice, salad and vegetables will be available everyday. All other food will be donated by our volunteer cooks. Please let us know if you have a food allergy which would lead to hospitalisation. We are not able to cater for any other special food requirements.
In Buddhist tradition, the dharma is of such great value that it cannot be bought or sold; it can only be offered and received as a gift (dāna). Patrick offers his teaching as a gift to his students, and they are encouraged to return the gift by making an offering of material support to him. Patrick depends on these gifts he receives from his students for his income.
What should I bring?
You should bring:
- Bedding including blankets/sleeping bag/doona, sheets and pillow
- Towel and bathmat (if desired)
- A torch and/or battery powered lantern for your room, batteries
- Small clock or watch
- Warm clothing and socks
- Loose comfortable, modest, clothing suitable for yoga or bodywork
- Warm shawl or blanket for use in meditation hall
- Suitable footwear for outdoors
- Shoes that easily slip on and off
- Hot water bottle
- Ear plugs if you are a light sleeper
- Mosquito repellent
- Umbrella and/or raincoat
- Any medications
- Writing paper & pen for interview notes
- Cushions are optional and will be provided by the retreat center.
In addition to keeping silence during the retreat, you will be asked to follow 8 precepts:
- To abstain from killing living beings.
- To abstain from taking what is not given.
- To abstain from sexual misconduct.
- To abstain from dishonest speech
- To abstain from intoxicants.
- To abstain from taking food after midday. (medical exemption available)
- To abstain from music, entertainment, perfumes and fragrances, or adornments.
- To abstain from using high or luxurious beds.
A light supper of ‘evening allowables’ will be provided. This includes hot drinks, cheese, dark chocolate and lollies.
Places are limited to 17 people.
Tickets for Members will go on sale Friday Feb 2nd at 6pm. Now Open.
Non-members will need to wait until May 1st.
Become a member now.
Help with booking
Other questions and offers to help with lunch dana
Bank Account Details
Make your payment directly into our bank account.
Account Name: Buddhist Society of South Australia
Account Number: 160059499
Bank: Bendigo Bank
Please leave the transaction description “RETRT10+YourName” for us to identify your payment and also (if possible) please email a copy of the transaction detail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mindfulness School for Children - July 15th 2018 - Jul 15 2018 - 2:00 pm - 3:30 pm
- Mindfulness School for Teens and Adults - July 15th 2018 - Jul 15 2018 - 3:45 pm - 5:15 pm
- Daylong meditation retreat July 22 - Jul 22 2018 - 7:00 am - 6:00 pm
- Patrick Kearney 10 day silent retreat - Nov 02 2018 - Nov 11 2018 - 5:00 pm - 11:00 am