Date(s) - May 17 2019
10:30 am - 12:45 pm
Adelaide Railway Station
Join us on the third Friday of the month as our theravada monks and nuns go on the traditional pindapat alms round. We have invited monks from the Sri Lankan, Cambodian and Thai temples to join our nuns walking alms round. The pictures here are from our recent pindapats, which was enjoyed by everyone who participated, as well as giving many Adelaideans something new to see and learn about.
The “sight of the Samana” or seeing a person who has dedicated their life to goodness is a powerful symbol of good in the world. The Buddha was inspired to go forth himself from seeing such a sight. In these days of powerful media images of doom and gloom, the sight of goodness manifest in our world is particularly important.
We begin at Adelaide railway station at 10.30 am where the monks and nuns from temples all over Adelaide gather before setting off. The pindapat line then moves silently and mindfully along North Terrace, up King William Rd to Rundle Mall and finally to Botanic Gardens. The meal is eaten at Botanic Gardens at around 11.15am at the Shomburgk Pavillion and excess dana is shared with the people who follow us and join us there. After the meal there is the opportunity to ask questions and hear Dhamma.
How to offer food
Many people have never offered alms food on pindapat before and would like to know how and what to offer. Any hot or cold food that can be eaten from their bowls is welcome by the monastics. The nuns will accept both vegetarian and non-vegetarian offerings, the monks would prefer vegetarian food. Traditionally items such as curry, rice and fruit are offered but more recently chips, sandwiches, salads and even ice cream are often offered as alms food.
The monastics will walk along the designate route and if you would like to offer food please signal to them you have something to offer. They will stop and lift the lid on their bowls allowing you to place items in each of their bowls. Please try not to bash any cutlery on the bowls.
- Pindapat in Adelaide - Sep 21 2018 - 10:30 am - 12:45 pm
- Pindapat in Adelaide - Oct 19 2018 - 10:30 am - 12:45 pm
- Pindapat in Adelaide - Nov 16 2018 - 10:30 am - 12:45 pm
- Pindapat in Adelaide - Dec 21 2018 - 10:30 am - 12:45 pm
- Pindapat in Adelaide - Jan 18 2019 - 10:30 am - 12:45 pm
- Pindapat in Adelaide - Feb 15 2019 - 10:30 am - 12:45 pm
- Pindapat in Adelaide - Mar 15 2019 - 10:30 am - 12:45 pm
- Pindapat in Adelaide - Apr 19 2019 - 10:30 am - 12:45 pm
- Pindapat in Adelaide - May 17 2019 - 10:30 am - 12:45 pm
- Pindapat in Adelaide - Jun 21 2019 - 10:30 am - 12:45 pm